Nesting instinct
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
"Nesting instinct refers to an instinct or urge in pregnant animals to prepare a home for the upcoming newborn(s). It is found in a variety of animals (both mammals and birds) and can occur in human mothers as well... It is commonly characterized by a strong urge to clean and organize one's home, and is one reason why couples who are expecting a baby often reorganize, arrange, and clean the house and surroundings."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To be completely honest, during my first pregnancy, I was highly skeptical of this whole "nesting" idea.... I certainly never experenced it for myself. However,this time around, I hit 32 weeks, and became a crazy woman. I've never been much of a housekeeper, unfortunately, but the past 3 or 4 nights, as soon as Benjamin goes to bed for the night, I've spent the next several hours uncontrollably scrubbing floors, organizing closets, reorganizing furniture, etc.
The only problem is that I obviously can't do anything in our bedroom at night, because Benjamin is sleeping. So, today, my mother-in-law Diane was kind enough to watch Ben this afternoon so I could clean up and rearrange the bedroom.
I moved Benjamin's dresser into the closet, moved other things around, cleaned a TON, filled two bags of garbage and one of clothes to give away, flipped the mattress and moved the bed, and --my favorite part--put the beautiful new bedding set, a birthday present from Loy and Diane, on our bed.

Now we just need to get a new dresser set...
Then, when I finished in the bedroom, I sorted through all of Daniel's computer games, filed them in a cd holder, and threw out most of the game cases that were just taking up space (yes, I had his permission... and I made sure to save all the activation codes first!)
I used the idea (writing the codes all down in one place and getting rid of the separate papers) that you mentioned on Sunday, Juli, thank you!
Anyway, whatever the nesting instinct is, I'm certainly not complaining! I feel so productive, and the apartment looks so much nicer!
4.30.2008
Nesting
Written by Laura at 11:57 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
12 comments:
OMG, Laura! That was my dresser when I was a teenager!
And......FYI, I WAS really a teenager, Vala!!!
Laura, this was a wonderful post, I love seeing how you have developed into such a sweet young woman. You are an awesome mom, and a very patient, loving, understanding wife.
The bedroom looks great too!
Love you guys,
GG.
BEAUTIFUL! Great job, Laura! Isn't it amazing that even feeling so exhausted, you still get hit with that "second wind" where you feel like you can do anything! I love it.
Yay! Great job Laura! The bedroom looks awesome! I guess I never noticed that beautiful bed, not just the bedding, but the actual bed, it's really nice. As I was reading this, you said you moved Benjamin's dresser into the closet, but for some reason my mind read it as moving his crib into the closet. ;-) Ha ha!
Juli-- Yes, it's great! I hope it doesn't go away! The only drawback is that I'm still definitely feeling it in the morning... *groan*.
Donna -- GG, that is so cute! :)
I had no idea it'd been in the family for so long! I knew it was Daniel's, and now that I think about it, I remember Diane saying that it was hers growing up, too, but wow, FOUR generations? That's amazing!
Oh, and just so you know, my comment about getting a new dresser set was really about MY dresser, which isn't shown (for good reason!)... it's one that's been in my family for a while (But not that long), that I, as a thirteen-year-old, painted white and black with bright pink accents... I need to get a grown-up dresser!
Shellee-- Yes, I really like the bed too! It (along with an incredibly comfortable, used but newer Sealy Posturepedic mattress) was a hand-me-down/wedding present from Greg Hazelett (sp?).
I was actually just mentioning to Daniel how blessed we've been with things like that-- honestly, most of our bigger things, like furniture, are hand-me-downs, but they're all great! In our living room alone, we've got a recliner from my parents, a couch from craigslist, two computer desks, a tv, and a dining table and chairs from Diane and Loy/Juli & Adam (also a family heirloom, on Loy's side), and the entertainment center from you guys!
Laura,
There is no doubt in my mind that you have a future as a writer. Your descriptive powers are formidible. I "see" a picture of everything you write. I hope you use it to your benefit. It's one of the things one can always do at home.
ab
Thank you, Aunt Bonnie, that's a wonderful compliment! I do enjoy writing, and a blog is a great way to do that-- but I've really been struggling to find the time, unfortunately! When I'm not working, or playing with/taking care of Ben, I'm either napping or spending time with Daniel. There just aren't enough hours in the day anymore...
Excellent job, Laura! I've never been pregnant, but I frequently get that "nesting" urge. Ask Joey, once I start I can't be stopped! It's the best feeling when you've had all that motivation and you accomplish sooo much within a day =)
Your organizing and new set-up looks great! And your birthday present is beautiful.
WOW!!! I LOVE IT!!! It looks soooooooooooooooo GOOD!! You worked really hard. It makes your bedroom look huge.
- Diane
Ha! Wait till the new baby gets here!! ;-D
Thanks, Genevieve! Yes, well... the reason this drive to organize is such an exciting thing for me is because I virtually NEVER have it otherwise. I'll be honest, I'm a terrible housekeeper. It's horribly embarrassing (hence why nobody ever gets invited to our home for dinner), but our apartment has never been a "nice-looking" place. Just keeping it livable is hard enough for me! So, me being excited about cleaning is a very welcome change!
Diane-- Thank you, thank you, thank you! For the comforter set, and for taking the little munchkin off my hands for the day so I could do it all! I do like having the extra space, our bedroom is on the large-ish side, for such a small apartment. I think it's about 12 or 13 ft. by 20 ft., which is nice when we've got three dressers, a queen-size bed, a crib, and a glider to fit into it!
Shellee-- I know... I love my parents, and am certainly grateful that they had lots of children-- but I don't know how they've kept their sanity! (My dad would probably say that he hasn't... ;)
One can be, and often is, chaos. Two, I can only imagine will double that, and it's gotta increase exponentially from there on, right?
Post a Comment