3.13.2008

Ahhhhh...

*Deep sigh of relief* He's finally napping...

Over the past few days, Benjamin has realized that he is the proud owner of an until-now hidden skill: he can climb up and step right out of his crib and playyard. Until now, we knew he could swing his leg over the side, teeter precariously, and eventually drop, but we also knew he didn't particularly like that way (the "falling on his head" part was the deterrent, I think), so it didn't happen often. However, now if he decides he wants a change of scenery, out he goes. And he's so good at it already, I can't even hear him from the other room if the door is closed. He's already wreaked havoc in the bedroom once... books strewn off the bookshelf, clothes from his open dresser drawer tossed haphazardly across the floor, even an old, forgotten art kit I had underneath the bookshelf opened, and its contents experimented with (and apparently my little mischief-maker is also an aspiring artist-- but that's for another blog) .

Anyway, so this new little discovery has highly complicated naptime and bedtime.... before, I would just rock him, sing to him, do our little routine, then deposit him in his crib awake. He'd play for 10 minutes or so, then happily drop off into slumber. Now.... not so much.

I just spent over an hour trying to get my poor, sleepy toddler to stay in his crib. Over and over again we'd rock, eyes drooping, then I'd lay him down when I felt he was sufficiently sleepy. The minute I walked out the door, it was like his cue to climb out and follow me. I tried the gentle approach: Picking him up, hugging him, singing, etc. all over again, then trying again, several times. Didn't work. I tried sitting close by in the rocking chair singing to him, hoping he'd fall asleep, and firmly saying, "No" when he started climbing. Nope, didn't work either. I even tried swatting his chubby little bum every time he'd climb out, but that didn't work, as we apparently have the world's toughest baby. Nothing hurts him-- at least nothing I've seen happen to him, and I'm not going to go try and find something that will! So spanking just isn't all that effective with this little guy.

Finally, he ended up just crashing in my arms. He was so tired, he didn't even budge when I laid him down. And... now I need a nap.

I know, I'm a terrible mother, I should be so excited and proud of my big boy for learning and developing this newfound independence. But no... I think I'm kind of in mourning for the loss of my little, dependent, needy (and easily contained!) baby. Sure, it's fun to watch him growing-- but not when he needs a nap but doesn't want one!

Can't wait for tonight! Maybe I'll conveniently have to go grocery shopping around 8:15, and my darling husband will have to take on the task. Of course, if naptime is any indicator, it'd have to be one looooong grocery trip.

I know I should post a picture of him sleeping soundly to go along with this post-- but there is no way in this world I'm going near him with a flash right now!!

8 comments:

Shellee said...

Good luck with tonight! I doubt Daniel would have the patience you do. If you do go out at bed time, I could see Daniel trying a couple times then giving up and letting him stay up until you got home! Now THAT would be fun, grocery shopping then putting the wee one down! Yay! ;-)

Laura said...

You're probably right, Shellee...Eh, oh well.... I can dream, right?

Mighty Mighty Man said...

Actually, Shellee, what she declined to mention is that I, not her, I was the one who got him to go to bed the night before when the first occurence happened. I tried swatting him, that didn't work, blablabla. Then I remembered that when I was a kid in my family we couldn't sleep without the door open. That definitely worked. It was much easier because we would know when he got up, and the I could take him back into the bedroom. I'd give him a small swat on his leg and then scratch his back for about 5-10 mins depending on his attitude. He of course eventually fell asleep. HOWEVER, Laura thought it'd be brilliant to shut the door about five minutes after he fell asleep, resulting in him of course, waking up. To which, oooh guess what. I stepped in again. I'm not as much of a lazy ass retard with ADD as you think I am. =(

Laura said...

Daniel, of course, has valid points-- He did put Benjamin down last night, because "my way" wasn't working, and I'm sure that tonight, if, once again, Ben refuses to fall asleep, he will, once again, take over. However, I'm still not sure I'd call Daniel's way "having that much patience"... at least my way he's not crying, even if I am babying him, or being too soft.
Oh, and I'm pretty sure after I woke him up, I rocked him until he fell asleep again...

For what it's worth, though, I'm--and I'm pretty sure Shellee is, too-- just teasing. We both know you are a competent, good dad.

Shellee said...

Dork. I don't think you're a lazy ass retard with ADD.


Just a retard. Ha ha ha!! ;-p~

Shellee said...

And Laura is right, we're teasing you big baby.


I just read all this to Adam....he said 'From one retard to another' lol.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Laura. Beautifully, beautifully written! I will probably be checking your blog 20 times a day hungry for more!

Laura said...

Oh, thank you, Juli.... but you'll be disappointed if you check 20 times a day! I'm anticipating that I'll be doing well if I update a few times a week!